Saturday, March 14, 2015

"Cameron Russell: Looks aren't everything. Believe me, I'm a model."

The other day, I was bored and was browsing the internet. Out of no where I came across a TED Talk. For those of you who have never heard or seen a TED Talk, they are basically just presentations, big or small, that people give. Usually, it's people spreading ideas or sharing their stories. There are very interesting talks.

I watched a talk given by a supermodel about her insecurities and the luck she's had in "winning the genetic lottery". She speaks about the fallacies of what people believe model's lives are like. In reality, she describes that it is exhausting to have to worry about how you look everyday of your life. Her points were very interesting, because as a model, I would have expected she say something completely different. From my perspective models get the best clothes, wherever they go they get all the attention, they are said to be the most beautiful girls in the world. It's very surprising to see that being a model is not all it's cut out to be. She speaks about how the pictures everyone sees of her are not truly her. Those are all pictures that are retouched and enhanced to create the "perfect" image.

After watching the video I began to think about the things she was saying. I agreed with most of it, but then after reading some of the comments I realized that she speaks about the modeling industry in very critical terms but she is still a model. One person in the comments mentioned that her courage was respected but that her actions were contradicting the points she was trying to make. Even after she speaks against the fallacies of the model industry, she will still continue with her career. But to me it only makes sense. She is getting paid millions of dollars for what she is doing in the end. Of course she is going to continue. But there has to be credit given where she stood her ground and describes the inaccuracy of her lifestyle and the harm it is causing other girls.

But here's the link for any of you who want to see it, let me know what you guys think!

http://www.ted.com/talks/cameron_russell_looks_aren_t_everything_believe_me_i_m_a_model

No comments:

Post a Comment