If you have already started reading, and you are trying to read a short blog post, I suggest you close the page and read someone else's blog because this one is going to be a long one.
I come from the Bay Area. The hub of hippies in Berkeley, the Hyphy Movement, E-40, Mac Dre, San Francisco homelessness featuring San Francisco's richest in Russian Hill, Sea Cliff, etc. Oaklandish, the SF 49ers and the Oakland Raiders, Silicon Valley, the beaches, the food, the people, the vibes. Everything you've ever wanted is in the Bay Area. Of course, to me everything about the Bay is the best. I grew up there. Entirely my whole life has passed there. I have accustomed to the life in the Bay and I can surely tell anyone that whoever is from the Bay reps the Bay till the day the die. If you don't, quite frankly, you are a disgrace, and you have no sense of appreciation. I know that sounds harsh but how could you not be proud of one of the best places in the entire planet?
One of the most noticeable Bay Area attributes, would be their rappers, the ones who started the Hyphy Movement and the ones that came after, who were influenced by those who created Bay Area rap. Many know about E-40, Mac Dre, and The Pack, those who don't probably have never listened to the radio. Those of us from the Bay grew up listening to these rappers. Many aspired to reach the heights the rappers who coined the Hyphy Movement reached, and one is actually on the road to the success they achieved.
Gerald Earl Gillum better known as G-Eazy or Young Gerald is hitting the box office, selling out shows a month in advance, touring the world and growing his fan base, all the while being an independent rapper who isn't planning on getting signed by any record labels anytime soon. His goals so far have been doing what he loves (recording music, living the lifestyle of a star, and growing his fanbase) and representing the best of the best from the Bay. He is planning on growing his fame by staying true to his roots, remembering that he has come from the bottom and will not stop until he's reached the top. His number one hit, Runaround Sue, a remake of the original by Dion, puts him on record as the James Dean of rap. His slick back gelled hair, all black outfit with the signature leather jacket is only one of the aspects of his image that sets him apart from other rappers in the West and East Coast. He has appeared on shows with E-40, A$AP Ferg, Drake, Lil Wayne, Big Sean, and many others. He received his B.A. in Music Industry Studies from Loyola University of New Orleans and toured while in school but had to make many difficult decisions between touring with Drake or staying in school.
That's just some of his background, it would honestly be too much for me to include everything I possibly could find out about him. My thing with him is his vibe. This super chill, wait till I reach the top type of vibe. He is so true to his roots, which makes me even more excited about him. It's always amazing to know someone like that could make a life for himself. There is a sense of accomplishment coming from his music. The fact that he talks about things that everyone from the Bay knows about and can relate to makes his music even better. "Everywhere I go, bro I rep the Bay", thinking about everyone that has helped him get to where he is at, basically touring with all of them. I know what it's like to live in the streets of Oakland, I may not be directly from Oakland, but I know people I am literally right next to Oakland and the fact that hes gotten this far, really makes me believe that what you set your mind to will be accomplished if you really try. His rap makes sense, it is true, it does not exaggerate, it does talk only about doing drugs, having sex with women, and what all other rappers brag about. He speaks only what he has lived through and it just so happens that being from the Bay I can completely understand where he's coming from. I have never really liked a rapper this much. Of course he is physically attractive to me as well, but his music is what I admire the most.
But there you have it, my rant about G-Eazy, officially my favorite rapper of all time. I just can't wait to see him live and finally meet him playing at some show in the Bay, probably the Fillmore.

i really liked your blog not just the topic but how it was structured it helped me learn to structure mine hah. Great blog.
ReplyDeleteNice! I'm from the Bay as well! Vallejo to be exact so Bay Area music is my music. Hehe. And I've never really listened to G-Eazy. I should listen to some of his music!
ReplyDeleteG-Easy is trash. Jk I was having this talk with Edy about this blog post, and he mentioned he has some good music. Anyways, I liked reading this post because it is very easy to read, not to mention it is also interesting and I learned a lot. I can't contradict your opinion, specially since we all have different tastes, but if you admire an artist this much it must be for a reason. He is probably good, so I will consider checking out his music. Btw don't hate on Logic :( haha
ReplyDelete