Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Technology...is it hurting our language skills or strengthening them?

After reading chapter 13 of "They Say I Say" there seems to be a substantial amount of criticism and support for the advancement of technology and how it has influenced our language/reading/writing skills. From my opinion, the text spoke volumes about reading online and the substance of online communication. I love reading articles and almost always, after reading an article, I read the comments and most of the time I do not respond simply because I find it to be tedious work (there are so many people/comments it seems overwhelming). But the comments for the most part are not irrelevant/stupid. I find them to be very controversial and a good way to spark conversation. I find it so interesting that we can communicate in any given time at any given place about the same thing, while never even meeting the other person in the real world. But I love this ability to perform online, whenever I read an article online I go for the comments after because that's the only discourse I could get out of the article. Most of the time, a teacher is not going to give the class the article to read and talk about and analyze, that's just impossible. But to think about all the ideas/questions I have after reading the article and having no place to go to after is dumbfounding, I like having those discussion boards and comments to look back to.

In terms of the rapidness and amount of information we get on a daily basis, that is different. My COMS 5 teacher said, just the other day when we were talking about using easybib.com, that it would be irrelevant for her to tell us not to use the site for our bibliographies, because it would essentially be like telling us not to use the library for books. She is right about that, she claimed she did not like the website because it made it easier for us to write our bibliographies when she and others before us had to suffer and look for everything manually. Yet, she understood that we have these resources at our availability and we should be using them. After all, someone did go out of their way to create the website, database, or whatever program/process for our use.

Yet, I am part of the millennial age group and our whole lives have basically been run by technology and we frankly cannot live without it at this point.

3 comments:

  1. I agree! Technology has taken over, however has done a great impact on our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing was the same ever since the internet started gaining popularity. People don't even go out to go shopping anymore! Virtually everything is accessible online.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah times are changing. There was a reason they made everything we have now. But the best part is the fact we get to use it even if the older generation didn't have everything we have I and very sure they would try and use the new stuff as readily as we use it today.

    ReplyDelete