Saturday, February 21, 2015

The Food Issue Response

While reading Foer's "Against Meat" I kept wondering why I had never thought about eating meat that way. Most of what Foer was explaining made sense but I really couldn't accept the idea. I feel like it doesn't make sense that we should not kill the animals because we would not kill another person. I strongly believe in the idea that we are part of a cycle. The only way to survive is to kill other animals and eat the meat. It makes sense. We have been doing this for so long, basically since time started. How could we as a society stop eating meat all together when it is a staple in our diets.

There were many other theories he described in the piece. Basically talking about human values and their ways of thinking. For example, when he talked about how parents lie to their kids and the kids with their naivety catch the parents in lies where they cannot get out, there is a sudden change in the game. We always grow up with these "rules" that no one ever really refutes because they are so drilled into our brains. It's the same with the meat strategy. Foer was so used to eating meat and his grandmother never shared stories to him of how the meat and the food was produced because no one really thinks about that, its just something that we know and that we do.

1 comment:

  1. Very thoughtful response. Don't forget to tell us a little about what he says at the beginning of your post.

    ReplyDelete